Friday, November 5, 2010

Hello from Lebanon,

Hello from Lebanon!

I learned more about this country between the airport and the Kids Alive
Orphanage, (one hour drive) then I ever knew before.  To my shame I guess, but as
you know, you can't believe half of what you hear on the news.

For instance, when I asked about getting to Israel, I was told that you
can not get there from here. And he meant it.  He said there isn't even the
word Israel in the computer at the travel agent's office.

We traveled through Beirut and he pointed out the Palestine settlements
where you can walk freely and where you don't even think about
walking.  Not exactly like NY City but in a way the same.  You just have
to be alert and wise.

It is a city of MANY different cultures from one end of the spectrum to
the other.  (extremely rich to extremely poor.)  When I was in Afghanistan
in 2003, it appeared that all in that country were the same – poor.  Afghanistan was nothing like this at all.

This scenario also causes problems with raising funds to take care of the children
as many people consider Lebanon wealthy and so the extremely poor
and refugees go uncared for.

We are doing well. I took a complete tour of the facility today. I hope to
visit a couple of electrical supply houses tomorrow to see what is
available in country to avoid shipping as I'm sure it would be extremely
difficult.

Linda visited the school today and helped a few kids with their English
reading skills. These kids are from everywhere - Sudan, Ivory Coast and a
dozen other countries.  It really gets complicated when you hear the
stories of how the kids arrived here and what lies ahead for them as they become of
age. (17)  It is a difficult to situation.

Thanks for your prayers and I will send updates as I am able.  Email is not as
dependable here as I thought it would be.


Thank you for praying,


Tom & Linda Garber

No comments:

Post a Comment